Bananas are yellow fruit that monkeys love. They're great for slicing up and adding to cereal, making into smoothies, putting in bread and muffins, and even eating plain. Since they're a fruit, they must be healthy, but how healthy?
This seemingly insignificant fruit is an amazing source of essential vitamins and minerals for your body. With it you can fight off diseases, sleep better, and keep your body healthy and strong. Check out the 7 amazing things bananas can do for you.
1. Fight insomnia. An excellent source of tryptophan, WebMD says to try eating a banana in the evening if you're struggling with sleep. If you like peanut butter, you can spread a little on your banana for an added boost of tryptophan.
2. Regulate the stomach. Bananas contain both prebiotics and probiotics, according to WebMD. The prebiotics are the food for the probiotics, helping your stomach keep the good bacteria that's necessary for proper digestion alive and well.
3. Replace sports drinks. Harvard Medical School reports that because bananas are a great source of carbs, potassium, manganese and magnesium (to name a few), they are actually better for athletes than sports drinks for replacing the nutrients burned during exercise. Since bananas don't have added sugar and are rich in antioxidants, they should be considered a great alternative to sports drinks.
4. Fight heart disease. Healthline states that the antioxidants available in bananas have been directly linked to a reduction in risk of heart disease. Finding easy ways to add bananas into your diet is a great idea.
5. Source of nutrition. According to FOOD, bananas are a powerhouse of nutrition, containing, "Potassium, calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron, folate, niacin, riboflavin, and B6." This fruit is almost better than a multi-vitamin!
6. Regulate diabetes. Healthline shares that green bananas contain a large source of resistant starch which helps diabetic sufferers be more sensitive to their insulin. The greener the banana, the higher the amount of resistant starch the banana has. A word of caution, though, how all of this works is not fully understood yet as it hasn't been studied enough. Speak with your doctor to get help if you want to try using green bananas.
7. Reduce cramps. The potassium contained in a banana may be exactly what you need to help reduce the cramps you experience with PMS or after a long workout, according to everyday Health. If you also have trouble with bloating during PMS, the vitamin B6 contained in bananas is great for that as well.
With so many wonderful benefits, find ways to add these guys to your diet. Breakfast, lunch and dinner can each go a little bananas for bananas.