Hemorrhoids are a common plague for most adults, hitting three out of four adults, according to the Mayo Clinic. Simply put, they're like a varicose vein in the rectal area. Often, they will bleed, but not hurt. Some, though, become uncomfortable and itch.
Fortunately, you have a number of options for treating your hemorrhoids at home. Be sure to get a proper diagnosis from your doctor before doing anything; but if the verdict is a hemorrhoid, check out these 6 simple ways you can help take the discomfort out of your hemorrhoids.
1. Warm bath. Doctors' favorite treatment for hemorrhoids is to soak in a warm bath for 15 minutes. WebMD mentions that you can purchase a "sitz bath" that goes on the toilet for a convenient way to soak your hemorrhoids.
2. Witch hazel. Medical News Today recommends applying witch hazel directly to the hemorrhoids with a cotton ball. Witch hazel is an astringent that helps tighten the skin. If you find the hemorrhoids get irritated, you can dilute the witch hazel or try a different method.
3. Aloe vera. The Cleveland Health Clinic says that although no studies have been done with aloe vera, since aloe helps with other skin inflammations, it may help with your hemorrhoids. It definitely should not hurt. Use pure aloe and apply it directly to the hemorrhoids.
4. Ice. Another time-honored tradition that works, according to WebMD, is applying ice. Wrap the ice in a towel and apply it to the inflammation for 15 minutes. The ice should reduce the swelling and help numb the pain.
5. Epsom/glycerin compound. Cleveland Health Clinic recommends making a compound to apply. Mix 2 tablespoons Epsom salt with 2 tablespoons of glycerin. Apply this directly to the hemorrhoid on a gauze and leave for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat the application every four to six hours as needed.
6. Wet toilet paper. The Mayo Clinic says not to use dry or perfumed toilet paper to wipe as that will make the problem worse. Using moist towelettes or wet toilet paper is best.
Knowing how to treat your hemorrhoids means you don't have to just suffer through. The next time yours act up, try one of these remedies for some relief.